Thursday, August 13, 2009

President Reagan's Cold War Gaffe

Twenty-five years ago this week, during a sound check for his microphone, President Ronald Reagan came up with an absolutely idiotic off-the-cuff joke that put the Kremlin on full alert. I'm still not believing that a leader of his stature would have said this into an open mic. . .




Apparently no hard feelings though. Looking at the time line on this, I see those remarks were in 1984, three years before Reagan's famous challenge in front of Berlin's Brandenberg Gate to Russian leader Michael Gorbochev to tear down this wall! And that had a happy ending.





Speaking of President Reagan and Russia, apparently he enjoyed collecting jokes told in Russia. Here's a collection of some favorites. This gives me an idea. Think I'll check around over here for any jokes here about U.S. Presidents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At that time it was a tension relieving comment I'm sure, Reagan was a great president and always thought the Soviet Union was the biggest threat to world peace, I just wish he had been in charge in 2001 myself.

Eileen said...

I agree he was a great president. Looking back at the video of him telling jokes, I felt a twinge of nostalgia for those days...